Monday, June 27, 2011

Signed, sealed, delivered

I have mixed feelings about unions, probably because I hate beauraucracy and unnecessary rules with a passion. However, I think in general that unions are a big step forward for workers, who used to be bullied into taking whatever they could get for wages and forced into working in unsafe conditions.  Lots of people seem to be of the opinion that the Canada Post workers, who are getting legislated back to work soon, are 'lazy' and 'spoiled.'

Like many, I have never enjoyed the (lack of) service that I have received from Canada Post.  They've lost some things I shipped and are generally slower than slow.  The Canada Post Corporation has been trying to take away the mailboxes of rural Canadians (claiming they are unsafe) and my parents had a particularly frustrating time dealing with an unnecessary change to their postal code - at an address they have lived at for more than 25  years.

This being said, I find the whole strike/lock-out and accompanying public debate is really missing the point.  Whether letter carriers for Canada Post get paid x amount or work x amount of hours is a sideshow compared to the fact that Stephen Harper and his majority government are about to eliminate the right to collective bargaining in this case.

I never really understood what was going on until I read this column.  Imagine the government being involved in your wage negotiations with your boss, and then telling you you must accept less than what your boss offered to begin with.  Read the comments too, if you're inclined.  Very interesting stuff.

No comments: