Friday, June 03, 2011

Sabbatical: Month 3

Lots of people have been asking what I'm up to.  Not the sabbatical  per se, that's too much to get into in a small-talk conversation, but more likely because I am not out in public like I used to be.  I feel like I am being very greedy with my private time, it's true, but I am also a lot more focused on being home. 

The past few summers have been absolutely consumed with organizing.  Looking back on it now, I can't fathom how we did it.  The first Dooryard Festival was a massive and almost impossible undertaking - we spent the days on emails and telephone calls and the evenings trying to avoid our despair.  But luckily, we made it, and now it's well on its way to the best incarnation yet. 

So, this spring - wet though it has been - I have been at home, organizing our music teaching business for spring concerts (June 14 and 15th), digging weeds, planting food, visiting my folks, dreaming, reading, practicing the accordion, accompanying fabulous choirs, and generally thinking about the next phase of life.  It's good. 

It's amazing how quickly life blurs past while plans are always being made.  I felt lost in the busy-ness lately and now that I have taken some time to hear the inner voice again I can see that I feel very compelled to live a simple life, full of real food, family, projects, friends and conversation.  I am really relishing privacy (as much as one can have in a small town) and being on my own schedule during non-work time.

It also feels good to finally give my (our) home its due.  I have lived in this house for seven years now and it needs some love - landscaping, insulation, bathroom and kitchen updates.  Not only for appearance sake but also to make it truly serve our needs and embody our artistic ambitions and philosophy about life.  So as we approach the chimney-removal project and the seeds start to sprout, I am thankful for the tasks at hand.

No comments: