Sunday, May 08, 2011

Sabbatical: Month 2

The backstory is here for people not up to date on how the Old Testament can help decrease your stress level. I am now minus two fairly large time committments, with several others tapering off in the months to come.  It's getting interesting.  So, what have I noticed so far?

1. Less crises.  I don't inadvertantly double book myself as much now.  I am getting my short-term memory back a bit.  When something important comes up, I usually have enough flexibility to deal with it.  As a result:

2. More time and patience for people.  Now I'm not in such a hurry all the time, I can take time to chat and listen to a person's reply.  I have time to remember family occasions and I actually stop in and visit my parents/friends/relatives to say hello.  I'm able to cook better food and have lost a small but of weight.

3. Practicing!  I spent a lot of time learning piano accompaniments for the Music Festival so now my fingers are in semi-decent shape again.  And I'm working on some Beethoven and some Schumann.  Plus I've got a good start on my accordion playing - Hey, Good Looking, Red River Valley, and of course, Olive's Ghost.

Don't get me wrong, life isn't suddenly perfect - I also now have more time to obsess over stupid stuff that probably shouldn't matter.  But I do have time to reflect on my life a bit too, which is nice. 

One thought that has me pre-occupied is what the "pre-facebook" me was like.  I think I was happier.  I think I worried less about other people and what they were up to, since it was just idle speculation, and I think I felt that my friends were friends, not "friends."  So I'm trying to cut back on that too, in the hopes of spending time where it counts.

Looking forward to summer and getting to food production underway.  Just a friendly reminder to buy local this summer - our economy needs the support and everything tastes so gosh darn good when it arrives fresh!

No comments: