Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sabbatical: month 1

Back in November, I realized it's been seven years since university and I want to take a year off.  Now obviously I need to make a living so it doesn't mean quitting my job.  But I have a lot of projects on the go - some of which pay, some of which don't, and starting April 1st I am re-organizing my life.

When I first came up with the idea, which is based on an instruction in the Old Testament (yes, the Bible) that after seven years of cultivation the Jews should let their fields rest for a year, I was very nervous but excited.  I couldn't even imagine what I would do for a whole year without endless meetings and rehearsals to fill my time.  I am a work-a-holic and even two or three days off can be very unsettling for me.  But I decided this was yet another reason to try to slow down, not plan, and see what happens.

Now I am starting to see small ideas taking root - mostly I am remembering that before I did so much volunteering and community organizing, I was a musician.  A person who loved music, listened to music, went to concerts, wrote music and practiced music for her own improvement.  I have started taking a few organ lessons and combined with visits from musicians from away (thanks guys!) and working with Tracy on "Squirrel On a Wire" I can see that music continues to inform and inspire how I work and why I work.

I am excited at the prospect of having a "happiness project" and having time in the day (most days, anyway) to do what brings me joy and helps me improve my life.  It's my hope that in a year I will be able to take this energy and bring it back to the community.

Here's a great TED video about work-life balance and what it means.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Here, here!

I am glad that you are taking on a 'happiness project', mine also starts April 1st. Taking the time to do the things that make us happy is so very important, and yet our own happiness often comes at the end of a long list of 'to do-s'. You are an inspiration :D