Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Deliciousness abounds

This'll be short and sweet - see the recipe below for how to make a creamy fiddlehead soup.  I am not really enthusiastic about fiddleheads, actually, but I figure I can learn to like almost anything at this point.  Hence the recipe.  Also, fiddleheads are local and in season and I am trying to eat locally more often.

Creamy Fiddlehead Soup
Two large potatoes,peeled and diced                               
A half cup celery,finely diced                                            
One medium onion,chopped                                             
One small clove garlic,minced                  
One cup water
One tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
Two cups fiddleheads, fresh or frozen
1-2 cups cream (heavy or half and half)*
1cup chicken or vegetable stock

Bring potatoes, celery, onion, garlic, water, stock and salt and pepper to a boil. Cover and simmer about 20 min or until vegetables are tender. Add fiddleheads and simmer until tender. Cool slightly. Puree in blender or food processor in batches. Return to pot and stir in enough cream to desired consistency. Heat just until boiling point. Season to taste.

* I used 1/2 cup heavy cream (whipping cream left over from Mother's Day dinner) and 1c water, plus 1/2 cup milk. I also wanted some texture, so after I pureed the soup I added 3/4 cup diced mushrooms.

Tasted like cream of broccoli, but fresher and not as  'mealy' in the mouth.  Yum yum.

No comments: