Thursday, December 30, 2010

7, 32, 85, 103, 299, 300, 2011

I am a number person.  I count things, I see quantities as multiples (ie. this box is twice a big as that box).  It just so happens that the year is finishing, and this is my 300th post to this blog.  In 2007 I posted a paltry seven times.  In 2008, it was 32 and in 2009, 85.  Since then I have barely stopped jabbering but now, A Moment of Reflection:

This blog is one of my quiet joys, a place where I can record some thoughts and share them with people thoughtful enough to stop by my corner of the virtual neighbourhood.  What a wonderful way to overcome the inherent isolation of living here in NB.  And this little blog is so faithful and undemanding.  It will sit neglected for weeks and still be waiting when a loud thought pops into my brain and is later forced out my fingers and into your neurons.  Pretty wild when you really think about it, isn't it?

Believe it or not, I have rules about writing this blog.  Such as:

1.  Don't write in ridiculous over-thought prose.
One might consider asking oneself: did the word choice matter or was all choice merely an illusion?  She digressed.
Ever since I read Orwell's "Politics and the English Language," the importance of plain speaking, and the uncessary pretence of too many Latin-based words have hit me like a lightning bolt.  Just say it simply, and mean it.  I try not to write if I don't have anything worth saying.
 
2. Personal blogs are not for me.
Discussing ideas and experiences in public with acquaintences rather than intimates is a very valuable and underrated process.  I wish we lived in a world with more engaging conversations.  I do enjoy some personal blogs but the thought of putting my life out there is actually pretty nauseating.

3.  Keep it positive where possible and avoid overgeneralizing everything.
There are enough stereotypes, shallow news stories and shoddy thinking without me adding to the heap! People will never change their lives and our society if they aren't given a better alternative.  How's that for a stereotyped, generalized statement? 

4. Less is more

5.  Proofread. And then proofread again.  Try to mean exactly what you say, and nothing more.

I hope 2011 will bring you growth, joy, laughter, rest, work, love, and peace.  Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

kdean said...

happy 300th blog my dear, dear friend.
I'm so glad you write it. You're one smart cookie, and I feel pretty honoured to count you among my friends - though I probably don't say so enough!
I look forward to your 301st post, which I'm sure I won't see until 2011 if your commitment to numbers is as strong as it was outlined in this post. If you add the digits in both 301 and 2011, they both add up to four. Four happens to be one of my two favourite numbers.
(I might feel a little bit like the rain man right now. Perhaps I need to go to K-Mart immediately).