Friday, August 22, 2008

Not free, not school

In lieu of a wonderful camping trip (beautiful weather!) I chose to stay home and enjoy an impromptu trip to a FABULOUS record store in . . . Bangor, Maine. I know - Bangor. You need to check this out-it has a section for everything, including new vinyl, tv on dvd, movies, and playstation games (if that's your bag). Forget the 'outlet shopping.'

My visit to this luscious temple of artistic consumerism secured multiple albums for my increasingly stale cd collection, with an emphasis on live concert recordings. The prizes, in chronological order:

7. Charles Mingus - Mingus AH UM (1958)
6. James Brown - The Apollo Theatre Presents (1962)
5. The Band - Music From Big Pink (1968)
4. Townes Van Zandt - Live at The Old Quarter, Houston, Texas (1973)
3. Alison Krauss & Union Station - Live (2002)
2. Bill Frisell - East/West (2002)
1. Cadence Weapon - Afterparty Babies (2008)

Can you tell I'm excited ??

Before I go to listen to all this great stuff, I have one question: did any substantial music get made in the 80's? Please leave recommendations-I must have been too busy making mudpies and cutting down trees with rusty license plates, because my only musical associations from that era are Tina Turner greatest hits, Cyndi Lauper, and CBC's Video Hits. In the words of Aretha Franklin, "Save me. Somebody save me."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I need to go to this emporium of wonder. You have piqued my interest! Let's go!

Amy Anderson said...

Sounds good-I know you would love it. They have lots of imports, a great variety and even a "local" section.

Perhaps next weekend when Misters Geoffrey and Nicholas can also go?

Anonymous said...

Amy!

Prince
Bruce Cockburn
U2 (Well, you know, Joshua Tree)
The Pixies
The Talking Heads

And, though not defined by this decade, mister Tom Waits made some groovy stuff in the 80s.

But I understand. If you would have named another decade, I wouldn't have even replied, because it would take too much thinking to name only a select few.