Monday, August 25, 2008

Down the Generations

Over the weekend, I came across an interesting idea that, in all of American history, there are basically only four generational types. Of course, these 'personalities' manifest themselves differently according to what is happening in society at the time, but the values, methods and orientations remain largely the same. Like the seasons, they follow each other in an endless cycle.

As a child, I spent a LOT of time with my grandparents and other senior citizens, and have always greatly admired them for determination in the face of hardship and a strong emphasis on community. According to these theorists, both generations are based on the 'Hero' archetype. This reaffirmed a kinship I had always felt, but had no way to explain.

Have a look to see which generation you are, and whether it resonates with you. Considering the Boomers are the "Prophet" archetype, and that their coming-of-age is linked to "sanctifying," I'd say these guys are on to something. Other "Prophet" cohorts have included the Missionary, Puritain and Transcendentalist generations.

On a sad note, work starts again tomorrow so I won't be blogging nearly as much. Thanks for reading this summer and hope you're well, wherever you are. I will continue to keep an eye out for interesting little bits and to enjoy life's mysteries.

No comments: