Sunday, November 22, 2009

In defense of faith

I have a small but rotating list of personal heroes. Feels cheesy to use that word, since we're all supposed to be cynical now, and believe only in the power of money and not the power of people. But nevertheless, some people are inspiring, and not because they have the letters after their names to prove it.

I love hearing about people who have triumphed over adversity. There was a book about Martin Luther King Jr. in my grade 6 classroom and I must have read that book once a week all year. Of course, it was the closest thing to my desk, and I was usually done my work early, but it was worth reading again and again because of the courage of the characters.

David Adams Richards is on my list of 'heroes,' mostly because he is an excellent writer, but also because he didn't follow the conventional path in life. He has a new book out called "God Is" and here's a great interview talking about it (fast forward 3/4 of the way, he's at the end). His honesty cuts to the bone. He can see people for who they are, flaws and all, and yet still sees them with such dignity.

I think New Brunswickers have a salt and a sophistication to them that most people will never comprehend (you gotta live here to get it, right...). Talking about hell being his drinking habit and sitting at bars with murderers and realizing that as the start of his faith. Although he doesn't claim to have answers, he gives a very dignified defense of people's right to choose a faith tradition for the right reasons. These dark months are good times to think about this stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

david adams richards is a fine, strong writer and one of the most unrepentant assholes i've met.