Monday, June 01, 2009

Micheal Moore's Elegy for GM

Last night I heard GM was about to file for bankruptcy and that they taxpayers in Canada and the US will assume a large part of the debt, and by extension, a stake in the company.

Here are Michael Moore's surprisingly practical and inspiring suggestions for how shareholders can transform the company. Coast to coast in 17 hours - unreal...

Naomi Klein suggests that hyper-capitalists use disasters to make changes to the public system for their own gain. Why can't citizens do the same, and put people to work at building an equitable and sustainable transportation system? The time has come, methinks.

2 comments:

Doug said...

A few days ago I read that third paragraph on an Oscar Blog that I frequent. I thought he hit the nail on the head. It's disgusting what GM has done through the years and it's not surprising at all to see them come to an end.

A lot of people may dislike Michael Moore, but I think his writing and film-making is very relevant to our times and are great for stirring thought-provoking discussion.

Anonymous said...

I read this article with MUCH interest. I don't know where even to begin to say how many of the same thoughts and ideas I have had over the demise of GM and what could be done with the plants, workers, and infrastructure in place. The sad reality of the situation is that until the "big boys" running the oil patch and auto industry face the music, i feat that not much will change.

JF Clark