Friday, June 12, 2009

I recognize that t-shirt

Dan Weiss is the only drummer I'm familiar with in this article. And I'm pretty sure when I saw him play with David Binney in '07 that he was wearing the same t-shirt in this picture. That tells you what the average income of a jazz drummer is - sad, isn't it, for musicians who are gymnastic mathematicians with the brainpower of Buddhist monks.

Seriously, modern jazz drumming is one of the most complex and riveting phenomena of our time. If you have a hard time clapping your hands on the "off beats" these guys really are rocket scientists. Can you tell I have some major respect for them?

In any case, this article also shows a lot of the connections between jazz drumming and the whole gamut of music - metal, indian, funk, you name it. Anybody who thinks labels can define music accurately is kidding herself. The era of genres is over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We actually saw Dan Weiss with Chris Tarry at the JazzEast Concert in Halifax last summer, 2008. It was Brian Blade on drums with Binney in 2007 in Montreal. But they were both amazing, and Weiss does play with Binney a lot. Thanks for the great article! :)

Amy Anderson said...

Woops! Swear I have seen Dan Weiss twice. Maybe I am wrong about that. In any case, he's a crazy good drummer.