Thursday, March 12, 2009

me, the bowl of shreddies, fulfillment, and the middle east

So, today was "double band" day, plus 1. Thursdays are always tough - I'm staring down rehearsals at 7:30 a.m., 9:15 a.m., teaching all morning and afternoon, and then beginners after school until 5pm. At times it can be a very long day.

I overslept a bit this morning and didn't have time for breakfast and decided to take my cereal in a ziploc bag and soymilk in a little container, to eat after the 7:30 practice. In the teaching world, that would be considered a little odd, as the day arrives like a cyclone at 7:45 and never stops all day. But I was feeling weary and decided above all to meet my needs before proceeding for the day. It felt great to take 10 minutes for myself and be not running on empty all the livelong day.

Tonight (after a nap to recharge by music-addled brain) I came across this great talk by Tony Robbins, about why we do what we do. He maintains we are motivated by emotion and that our biggest need is making a contribution beyond ourselves - but that we focus so much on achievement we rarely take time to think about fulfillment.

At the end he tells about a seminar he was conducting on Sept. 11th where a confrontation occurred between a radical Jewish man and a radical Muslim man. You need to hear about what happened - watch the talk, it's 21 minutes. Plus he tells Al Gore why he lost the Supreme Court and the 2004 election.

No comments: