Wednesday, October 31, 2007

All the News That's Fit to Print

Apparently that includes this whole Langdon-Brunswick News affair. In the New York Times. Wow-Carleton County is in the "paper of record." (Thanks for the link on FB, Geoff.)

I'd like to know what people thought of the first edition of the Carleton Free Press. I saw it last night and thought it looked good, if a little tabloid-y because of the layout.

I was very encouraged by the number of local advertisers congratulating the new paper. The fact of the matter is, if people believe a non-Irving paper is valuable, they need to support it with their money.

And if the paper can provide similar or better quality coverage than the B-O, why not support an enterprise that makes the local economy a priority? It's the farmer's market of papers, you might say.

3 comments:

Mark Dykeman said...

All things considered, I think it was a decent start-up for a new paper. Layout-wise it reminds me a bit of UNB's The Brunswickan or, as you write, a tabloid.

I think the Carleton FreePress has a chance to do well if they get beyond the current controversy with Brunswick News and focus on being a good local newspaper. I'm a little skeptical that our area can support two newspapers (three editions per week between the two papers), but we'll have to see what the news consumers will pay for.

Amy Anderson said...

Agreed. I am wondering whether the Bugle will scale back to once a week due to increased competition for advertising dollars.

I've heard many people say in passing they find twice weekly a little thin and redundant (not to mention more expensive than the old issue once a week).

No question, the content of the paper has to be good enough to attract and keep new readers and advertisers.

Geoff Stairs said...

I actually know of a handful of people in the Fredericton/Saint John areas who are planning on subscribing more-or-less as a symbolic gesture.

This whole thing is very exciting. I can't help but feel like we're witnessing history in the making..