Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sabbatical: Month 10, Time's Up!

This time last year I felt grumpy and worn out.  So I took a break from RiVA, cut back on my work schedule and made an effort to do less.  It was the right choice and after nearly a year I feel re-charged and ready to go again.

Since New Year's I have also made some major revisions to my diet - adding (quality local, mostly organic) meat to my diet after a decade of vegetarianism and eliminating almost all grain and sugar (except fruit of course).  I feel great and after the sugar binge that is Christmas it's a huge difference. I never realized how much the fluctuations in blood sugar made me anxious (sometimes to the point of hostility) and how much more satisfied and energized I feel now that my diet is higher in fat and protein, and lower in carbohydrates.

For anyone who feels worn down by life, I would highly recommend taking some time to re-evaluate your life and take some time to deliberately be unproductive.  Taking the pressure off myself and being able to put my needs first was very empowering.  In seven more years I fully intend to do it again.

1 comment:

Jessica Wise said...

I'm still working hard on making my plan to take a weekly day off a reality starting in September. It's actually starting to get me excited. All the things I could do given a day off in which to accomplish them! Thanks for being the inspiration.