Monday, September 19, 2011

Happy or not, here life comes

Time and time again, I hear people talk about being happy - as in "he makes me so happy" or "I just don't feel happy" or the ubiquitous "do whatever makes you happy."  And then, of course, there is the infamous reference to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" in the US Declaration of Independence.

Lately happiness has become a major topic of discussion around here - with some projects completed we have time to reflect on what might be next.  As I work further into my adult years (indeed, the big 30 is just around the corner) I can see why people get worn down and start to lose touch with the joy in their lives. Being an adult is tough and sometimes I wonder if my generation is prepared for the realities of adulthood - the necessity of working, whether it be for financial gain or in relationships with those around us, and the realization that bad things often happen to good people.

In any case, here is a great podcast called "Just Say No to Happiness."  It begins with an interview with the author of "The Happiness Project," which has been on best-seller lists since 2009, and concludes with great discussions about suffering, the psychology of morality, the necessity of faith and how ultimately, depth and meaning are more important than 'happiness.'  So if you're wondering if you'll ever be happy, check this out.  It may re-assure that there is much more to human existence than yellow smiley faces. 

No comments: