Monday, April 11, 2011

I was bored out of my mind

I just finished listening to a very good podcast of Michael Enright's program "The Sunday Edition."  He was discussing university education and whether students today are forced into university degrees so they can get the credential and move on to professional schools or graduate degrees.

At one point Enright is interviewing an English prof from U of T, and asks if the professor was a good student in high school.  The man replies: "I was a great student in elementary school." In high school he became pre-occupied with illicit substances, girls, and furthermore, he says he was 'bored out of his mind.' 

The prof also stated that he dropped out of high school, later went back to complete a few credits, and went on to university, eventually getting his Ph.D., and was now rated one of the best professors in Canada.  The prof also said that he knew Michael Enright was a high school dropout.  So, then I got thinking - how many people who couldn't stand high school went on to lead very successful lives? Google, google, on the wall, who's the most successful droput of them all?

Here's a good sampling of names, if this list is to be believed:  Shakespeare, Einstein, William Faulkner, John D. Rockefeller, Oscar Peterson, Peter Jennings, Bobby Orr, Sarah Polley, Henry Ford, etc. etc.
 
I think it's a real shame we have an education system that legally mandates that kids be in school until they're 18 years old (you can thank McKenna for that), and that these kids are lumped together into classrooms without any regard for common interests.  Most of the teenagers I know are real obsessive types - whether it's bands, sports teams, staying in touch with their friends, acting, decorating their rooms, cars, whatever.

So why are we making them wait until they're young adults before they have the opportunity to develop their skills and passions?  By then, their brains are not as keen and they have learned to be complacent and 'just get by.'  Is it any wonder we have so many problems with bullying when we have a bunch of kids cooped up together without any positive outlets?

Kids self-identify their interests very early in life.  If we would let them take the lead, they would be learning night and day.

I would go out on a limb and say that I think our present education system probably wastes as much human potential as it develops, because it is so focused on a narrow definition of 'knowledge,' to the utter exclusion of everything else.  What a shame, especially for a place like New Brunswick, where we have so much unrealized potential.

The other thing I would like to point out is that we have loads of educational research that shows people learn best when they are fully engaged (ie. brains + hands working together on real situations).  And yet we have classrooms that immobilize people and beauraucrats positively obsessed with standardized testing.  No wonder our kids are bored out of their minds.  I know I was.

1 comment:

MMan said...

In high school, I wasn't interested in advanced math and consequently I didn't do so well at math 112 the provincial standard test. None of my interests used it and when I asked the teacher when in life I would compare fractions with different denominators she looked me in the eye and said, "comparison shopping". This did not inspire me to great heights. So after failing 112, I got myself into a 122 math class, so my transcript would be eligible for university and I passed that no problem.

Then I dropped out in the first part of grade 12 and worked. I went to the learning centre and did and entire English course in three weeks.

Then, I went back to school for the last term, did the regular 4 courses (Took 113 lazy math, since I had already passed the 122 they couldn't stop me) played rugby and got rookie of the year and talked 3 teachers into letting me write their exams even though I wasn't in their class. In high school, the exam was worth 50% of the mark. I passed all 7 exams and left town for my Australia backpacking trip of 10 months.
I've had no business training and my clinic has been running just fine for over five years, and except for my mortgage, I own 100% of everything I have. I'm alright with where I'm at. :)