Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Attention mentors and teachers: you matter

Hopefully everyone can idenfity a person who helped them to build skills and character and become more successful.  These mentors are oftentimes more important than friends or family because they encourage us to overcome obstacles in our thinking that prevent us from putting our talents into the world. Here's a great list of famous people and their mentors from the Harvard Mentors Project, take a look

I've been reading a little bit by the Dalai Lama and the Buddhists believe we are reborn many times until we learn to transcend suffering.  One thing I have been thinking about is how our actions affect other people - the 'vibe' we give off translates to other people feeling worthy or worthless, scared or safe, joyful or depressed.  Sometimes we fool ourselves into thinking that our actions don't matter, that nobody sees or cares what we do.  But the truth is we have enormous power to inspire, motivate and support one another, if we choose.  As Yeats once wrote:

Had I the heavens’ embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

No comments: