Sunday, February 28, 2010

So Sue Me

I taught public school for three years without obtaining the B. Ed. degree.  One of the courses the province made me take was school law, where I found out that teachers can be sued by anyone, at any time, for anything.  Later in my short teaching career, the Grade 7 trip to the waterslides was cancelled for fear of lawsuits.  Last summer, after I had resigned from public teaching, our non-profit organization got itself tangled up in zoning and building permit red tape.

 Legalities are everywhere, and everyone is terrified of that next lawsuit, which seems always to be just around the corner.  Here's one lawyer's proposal on how to restore the law to its rightful state of protecting common freedoms instead of hindering them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great talk. Thanks for posting this, Amy.
-Gill