Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Books: the dark side?

I remember yearning to read, and write. One of my best Christmas presents ever was a set of Disney books on tape (yeah, cassette tape, that's right) that chimed when it was time to turn the page. I read those things until the books fell apart, and got to know a lot of great fairy tales.

Now, humour me for a minute and watch this clip from "Good Will Hunting." They're talking about soul mates and Will is giving the list of authors he counts as soul mates. Then read this column by Rick Salutin and you really see where Robin Williams is coming from. Great thinking, great writing.

Too bad I'm not there in person for the dialogue. I think there's something to be said for oral traditions, and I think we have a strong one here. There's no doubt we have problems with literacy and I'm not saying that's not important; however, the flip side is we have people whose skill at storytelling needs to be heard, not read. Old school, campfire-style.

No comments: