Saturday, February 28, 2009

The right tool for the job

I've been feeling a little skittish about the blog lately, which is unusual for me. I normally blog out of a need to organize my thoughts in print (virtual print, I guess), and because I love sharing interesting bits of information. I've got a few larger ideas mulling about but I am having difficulty getting them to speak....we'll see if the March break can alleviate the malaise.

In the meantime, here's a snappy little piece about the cultural, historical and technological differences between ballpoint pens and fountain pens. I don't know about you but when I am writing (and I still love the sensation of putting pen to paper, despite this blog) I need a good pen. Not necessarily an expensive pen, but one that writes with ease and discharges a relatively equal amount of ink. I hate that blotchy, clotted writing that's the product of a Bic gone bad. I would much prefer a good sharp pencil to a lousy pen.

But then again, the story goes that in the 1960's, NASA spent millions of dollars engineering a pen that would write upside down in space. Apparently the Russians took pencils. Go figure.

3 comments:

kdean said...

Extra-fine tip. Blue ink. Not gel. NO SMUDGING. I once found the perfect pen at a drugstore in Rothesay. After this one time, I could find close matches to this perfect pen..but never could find the same pen again. How it saddens me. Every time I walk by an aisle of pens at any store, I investigate. And by george, if I ever see this perfect pen, I will buy ALL OF THEM!!

-Scott said...

I equally love pen, pencil and typing. With a pen, it is the smooth gliding. I love the sound a pencil makes. With typing, I think it is just the feeling of your fingers moving instinctively across the keyboard. My current pen of choice is a Bic Velocity Gel.

-Scott said...

P.S.

See if you can find the music video for Corb Lund's "Tool for the Job".