Saturday, October 11, 2008

MLK, 1967

This segment of a speech by Dr. Martin Luther is from the documentary series "Century of the Self." The connections between psycholanalysis, war, consumer culture, propaganda and public relations are all there. Check it out free online. Bonus points for anyone who can tie the content of this documentary to the recent Wall Street bailout. But I digress. Here's the quote:

Modern psychology has a word that is probably used more than any other word: it is the word 'maladjusted.' It is the ring and cry of modern child psychology: 'maladjusted.' Of course, we all want to live the well-adjusted life in order to avoide neurotic and schizophrenic personalities.

But as I move towards my conclusion, I would like to say to you today, in a very honest manner, that there are some things in our society and some things in her world, for which I am proud to be maladjusted. And I call upon all men of goodwill to be maladjusted to these things until the good society is realized.

I must honestly say to you that I never intend to to adjust myself to racial segregation and discrimination. I never intend to adjust myself to religious bigotry. I never intend to adjust myself to economic conditions that will take necessities from the many to give luxuries to the few, and leave millions of God's children suffocating in an air-tight cage of poverty in the midst of an affluent society.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watched a good part of this series on youtube after following your link. I can't believe the totality of the series! Really interesting and at times, frightening. It made me realize that balance is integral and that the word "balance" is a lot more encompassing than I could ever imagine. Thanks for this and keep them coming!