Saturday, May 31, 2008

Music hath such charms

Utah Phillips, American folk singer, passed away recently. Asked about his living as a travelling musician, he said: The trade is a fine, elegant, beautiful, very fruitful trade. In that trade, I can make a living and not a killing.

So many times I've felt this too, and although I haven't been playing shows all over the continent, I am so thankful for the music in my life. Last night some friends were in a low mood. We started working on our backyard musical and it sorted itself out, laughs were had and people felt better. I've seen this with students countless times, with myself nearly everyday. Mostly I am in love with the peacefulness inherent in music-making, when so many jobs involve destruction.

I read an article about Joni Mitchell where she recounted that a fan once told her he used her music instead of taking anti-depressants. I think that's a better plan for all of us. Our brains are already wired for the dopamine, it's free, it fosters strong social connections, and it doesn't have a hangover.

Yep, of all the ways to make ends meet, making music is the best. Sorry to all you people who do something else, but I couldn't trade it, even if I wanted to.

Audience participation: leave the name of a song that cheers you up. Could make a great cd . . .

1 comment:

John Ackerson said...

I'm a lousy guitar player at best, and have been told by those who 'love' me, a worst singer, but when I occasionally strum out a few tunes, the stress of carrying everything else rolls off my shoulders, and I feel renewed.