Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Late Night Blog

It's very unusual for me to be awake after 10pm. Teaching and the music festival keep me very busy, but spring is always a time for hectic activity. Since my brain won't shut up long enough for me to sleep, here goes . . .

I am thinking a lot these days about small towns and their limitations, and whether we are on the verge of enabling some meaningful changes here in Woodstock. Many projects on the horizon lead me to believe it is possible - the upcoming municipal elections (Geoff Stairs is running for council), a third Valley Young Company production, a third season for Music on the Meduxnekeag, our backyard musical, and the upcoming arts forum, new possibilities for arts journalism, discussion of the Civic Centre expansion, the success of downtown shops such as Fusion, Freshmart, Owl Book Shop etc.

I think people are beginning to realize that the arts are for everyone, that they are the core of a welcoming and growing community. Now we need a solid "people network," to reach out to audiences and supporters to speak clearly with a voice that articulates our needs. If we can work together and agree on some common values, we will have the power to changes our little town for the better.

No comments: