Saturday, February 23, 2008

Poverty: a state of mind?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's acceptable that anyone has to struggle to feed and clothe him or herself. But oftentimes I hear people complain about being bored, or a lack of good media, or how nobody is engaged anymore.

And then I wonder- how much external 'stuff' is really necessary for us to enjoy ourselves? Call me old school, but I think our imaginations, and 'the social fabric' have suffered as a result of too much technology. It's so easy to be distracted in this "i-universe."

In ages past, people had to entertain themselves. Director Michel Gondry elaborates on why we should still be doing this, saying:

I find it particularly shocking that people work all week long, and then on the weekend they give their money to another big corporation. I remember reading an interview with Walt Disney, and he said how he got the idea to create Disney World. He saw his grandson playing in the sand in a little park, and he assumed he was bored. And he said he could provide him a better alternative. But what you get is, you go in this park and you spend time to queue, you have a little bit of entertainment, and then basically they try to get your money. And I truly believe his grandson was having a great time when he was playing with the sand.

Read the whole interview here...

No comments: