Sunday, June 03, 2007

The next step

Congratulations to everyone on a great run. We have unleashed an insane amount of energy in our community and people have responded.

On a serious note, I feel now is the time to ask to the town of Woodstock to support you-its talented artistic community members. Please consider reading the important letter posted below, and notify me if you are willing to add your name in support of the proposal. It's time we spoke up as a group to be counted. We have a tremendous contribution to make, and in the words of Les Mis, "the time is now, the day is near."

Best wishes to all!

Amy

182 Houlton Road
Woodstock, NB
E7M 1Z1
(506) 328-2020
amandrs@mta.ca


Dear Mayor Wright and Councillors,

I am writing to you to propose something I feel is vital to the civic life of our town. As you might know, I have been very involved with musical and artistic life in Carleton County, both as a young person and now as a formally trained musician/teacher.

Participation in many community projects (Valley Young Company’s productions of “Tommy” and “Les Miserables,” organizing “Music on the Meduxnekeag,” playing for the Historical Society’s Victorian Christmas concerts) has given me a renewed sense of the talents and passion for the arts possessed by people in Carleton County. Having organized students and volunteers of all ages and abilities, I can honestly say that participating in the arts is the most meaningful experience of community that a person can have.

That said, I have long felt that we need a focal point for the arts in our town. We are seriously lacking in recreational and cultural activities not related to sports. To be clear, I do not begrudge the resources allocated to athletics. Rather, I feel we are shortchanging people in Woodstock who are ready, willing and able to contribute to the cultural and artistic life of our town. For example, we have a sports wall of fame but no place to recognize the many people who have gone on to significant artistic careers (Mary Lee Wilson and Sally Dibblee come to mind, to name only two).

Furthermore, we have no outlet outside the school system for our younger people to develop their artistic potential, despite evidence of tremendous talent in this area! Addressing this deficit would provide substantial economic and cultural benefits to the town of Woodstock. The arts are a million dollar industry in Canada, and draw highly educated, civic-minded individuals. These people form the core of informed citizens that are necessary to a healthy town.

It’s time for the town to actively encourage the arts in the same manner they do for athletics. Support for our local talent would tremendously enhance the quality of life in our town and would reinforce the role of Woodstock as a leader among towns in the river valley. I would like to suggest that the town consider allocating funding to hire a part-time arts coordinator, similar to the recreation director they fund already. I feel this is a manageable but concrete first step in building something meaningful for the citizens of Woodstock. This person would be responsible for such things as publicizing and organizing musical, dramatic and artistic events, coordinating with various community groups (schools, historical society, River Association, churches, Old Home Week committee, anniversary celebrations, libraries,), and organizing programs for people of all ages.

A vibrant arts community benefits everyone, and is vital to maintaining a strong community. We have so much talent and energy that is currently being unfulfilled, and it is truly our loss as a town. I hope you will give this small proposal serious consideration. I would be more than willing to do further research into similar positions funded by other municipalities, and I would be happy to discuss the proposal in person. I look forward to your reply on this issue and I have attached the names of many people who support this initiative. Thanks for all you do already to make Woodstock a great place to live, and I look forward to a time when the talents and achievements for our artistic community members are supported with pride by our town.

Yours sincerely,

Amy Anderson, B. Mus

Music director, Valley Young Company
Music director, Saint James United Church
Music teacher, Hartland Community School

9 comments:

Geoff Stairs said...

This is a brilliant letter. I will co-sign it if that's what you're looking for. It will likely be read in full at the next council meeting on June 25th-- you should come along and keep me and the one other guy who is normally there company, otherwise I will let you know what comes of it.

Anonymous said...

Well done, Amy.

Anonymous said...

Diddo to the comments above. It was truly an "amazing journey" to be involved with the troupe again this year. Thanks to all my band mates - it was a rock and roll show like they haven't seen on WHS theatre stage for awhile.

Thanks again for the chance to add "playin' in a rock roll band" (ACDC) to my resume. It's not often that trombonists get to say that.

Job well done Amy - too bad the pay scale doesn't reflect the efforts put forth!!!!! It would not have been the success it was without your devotion.

Kudos

Anonymous said...

Amy - I wholeheartedly support your proposal! I believe the timing is right and the town needs to look at this quite seriously. I also believe that we can actively engage the local arts community to raise its profile and become more vocal in pushing this forward.
Thank you again for your gifts in making another VYC production so memorable!
Gloria

Anonymous said...

I completely support and truly appreciate your ambition for the arts in this community. Thankfully, there are people like you who take this kind of initiative, and if it means anything, I'll help in any way I can.

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome idea and I definitely support it fully. I really hope the town seriously looks at this proposal. You and the band did an amazing job btw. Hope to have you on board again next year!

Ross

Amy Anderson said...

Hi folks,

Just wanted to let you know that more than 10 people, including the board of the Meduxnekeag River Association, have agreed to support this so far.

I am encouraged by the response, and look forward to taking this to council.

Amy

Anonymous said...

Hey Amy...I'm so glad your deciding to do this...Woodstock has NEEDED something like this for awhile, add my name to the list for sure!

Matt

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea you have. I support you all the way.
After I wrote the letter to the Bugle/Observer I heard from Town Councillor Craig Campbell's wife that Craig is looking into a proposal for the Town. She had no specifics but apparently he was asked by the Town to investigate this matter.

Kim